Monday, November 8, 2010

Building the bot: more parts more progress

Things are moving along well.

Finger with thumb piece below.  

I have gone ahead and pieced together the finger and the piece below the finger is the alternative middle piece for the thumb.  These fingers are large, not disproportionately, but they are big.    Not much else needed on these but a little primer, some sanding and maybe primer again, but things look pretty smooth so far.  I did mark the middle pieces with guides for when I drill the final piece.



Additionally I have pieced together three pieces of MDF for the hip/groin part.  MDF is a great material for a project like this, but if your notice there are a lot of bits of woody grain pieces here and there.  I coated the MDF pieces with a lot of primer as all of the grain should sand out.  It may take an additional coat or two, but by the time I go to cast it, this should be fairly smooth.  This will probably end up as a solid cast.  I was hoping to make this piece hollow cast to lighten the weight of the final piece, but I don't see how well that would work and warping may occur with the weight that will put on this specific part.  The weight of the torso, head and arms will just be too much even if I have an external stand to help hold the bot up.  So solid cast it is.

Definitely needs to be sanded QUITE a bit, but it is off to a good start for something that may never be seen again.
Another MDF piece is the foot.  I definitely did not want to leave it plain as at some point the bottom of the foot could hypothetically be seen.  I am trying to plan for everything... well I am trying to plan for a lot of different shots and the tread looks cool.  Additional detail will be added to this after it is cast.

It was perfect, now it is a problem.  
So here is where I found myself having a bit of a problem that I did not think through ahead of time.  I could cast the head as is, but I run the risk of having the clear piece coming out too thin or losing it all together.  I have a bit to think about on this one.
Related Posts with Thumbnails