Monday, October 11, 2010

It starts with a sketch

I have been drawing robots since I first watched Star Wars... wait, let me revise that, I have been obsessed with robots since I first saw R2D2 and C3PO in Star Wars.  As a kid who grew up with Star Wars I think I dreamed of friendly, inquisitive robot companions like I saw in the movies and that idea sent my imagination running wild.  Twenty some odd years later I am looking through my sketchbook(s) and I am still sketching robots.

Back in 2002-2003 I started to explore thoughts of what our world would look from a total outsider with my rendition of a robot popping out of the moon.
Last year I was looking at sketches of robots throughout the years and the image above is one that definitely stood out.  It was the first time that I stopped thinking about the common themes of people relating to robots, teaching them humanity and a lot of those other tired ideas and started to think about robots from an alien point of view observing people.

I started drawing a new series of sketches where the main character was a robot visiting earth as a tourist.  It did not matter, still doesn't matter where or when he may or may not be from, what was important was that there is this good spirited character, who happened to be a robot who is totally focused on traveling our world, seeing and doing things he found to be interesting.  What was also important is that this robot enjoyed documenting these journeys.

Some early concept sketches of a practical robot. 
It did not take long for me to start exploring how I would go about building a practical prop robot.
Related Posts with Thumbnails