Dean Shirley, videographer, photographer and personal friend shared this video link of the Satin Dollz on Facebook recently and I thought this was really fun and entertaining. What surprised me is that this production was all put together for just $2,000. The video shows how much you can do with a little budget and calling in a few favors from good friends. The result of this work is a musical number that is definitely worth checking out:
The Satin Dollz in "Whatever Lola Wants" from Dan Blank on Vimeo.
Can you believe that this was put together for $2,000? I couldn't. I watched this three times before taking a real critical eye to it to try to figure out how it was put together. I sat in front of my monitor wondering how they pulled it off. How did they get all of those sets, get all of those people, the WW2 Jeep, the costumes... oh man how many tuxedos were there??? I just could not see how it could be done for such a small budget. There are definitely Photoshop things I could do to this together in a still photograph, however this was not a still image. This was a video that was not made by a major motion picture production studio with no access to major effects houses or anything like that.
Well, Dan Blank and the Satin Dollz creative team on the Lola video put together a behind the scenes video where they reveal a bit of the magic they used to assemble this video:
The Making of "Whatever Lola Wants" from Dan Blank on Vimeo.
BRILLIANT! Green screen, multiplicity and some creative solutions made this piece all come together. I still can not believe how limited the budget was, but I appreciate the approach so much more and it gives me so many ideas for my own work. More importantly for creative types out there this is a prime example of the only limitations we create are our imagination. Cost effective tools are out there to create professional results.







