Sunday, September 12, 2010

Monster Mouth

Shooting the still photography for 9giants during the Monster Mouth shoot was a lot of fun. These guys were a lot of fun to work with throughout the entire filming process.  I was brought into the production a bit late and really to help document the project, so everything on my part was done rather quickly.  The majority of the shots were done completely with available light and while filming. 


Adrienne in available light before a close-up take.
Director John D had a great lighting setup for this, the overhead light created some decent hair light and the background was a great contrast.  I still can't get over how cool a plastic sheet background can look.  Maybe that is strange?  


Available light with an intimidating pose
The next shot was taken with Adrienne standing on top of the table for some of the shots where she was going to look down into the camera for the closing scenes of the video.


The light is the same overhead light from the previous image and the background is illuminated just as before.  Admittedly I colored the background to create the blood red lighting.  There were times on the set where the lighting was gelled red, but not in this shot.  I could not help creating a new layer in Photoshop and adding the color.  No other Photoshop work was really done to this photo except for increasing the exposure a bit.


With the tight shooting schedule and that we had not created a plan for me to bring in my strobes, I had to be a bit creative in a space made small by all of the lighting equipment for the video shoot.  I brought one light a day, the majority of the time I had a strobe in a large softbox and one block of shooting I brought the ringflash to see how it would affect the background.


Grab a ringflash and don't forget the knife
Set to tungsten in Photoshop 
The next set of shots were done with the large softbox, which was a approximately ten feet away and on a stand approximately 10 feet tall angled down towards the subject.

Eric strapped to the table, lit by the large softbox
Wrapping up, I was surprised with what could be created with so little light.  This last shot is probably the most dramatic that I captured during the shoot and it was done with just the softbox.  Are there  things I would do differently the next time around?  Absolutely, but overall I am happy with the results.  For more shots click here.

CUT!

Related Posts with Thumbnails