Sunday, November 28, 2010

On a jet plane, don't forget your camera

It has been over a year since I even looked at the photographs I took while I was on vacation last year in the Caribbean, so as the weather starts to turn crisp I thought I would reminisce of warmer more tropical days.

The beach on Castaway Cay


Grand Cayman.

Key West, Fl.

The Caribbean

Key West, Fl.

Castaway Cay
Last sunset in the Caribbean, right off of our cabin balcony.


Key West, Fl.
One of the things I learned about my photographs on this trip is that I absolutely needed to pick up a wide angle lens.  There are these amazing, expansive watery landscapes and although I enjoy the shots I have posted, I know that I could have done the landscape justice with a decent lens built for capturing the beauty of this tropical paradise.

I did my research and while I knew the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens really was the best choice for my Nikon (Canon has a great equivalent), the price of $1,700-$2,000 was a bit much for me at a point where I was not convinced I would get much use out of the lens and could not throw down the scratch.  I tried out my friends Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM ELD SLD Aspherical Super Wide Angle Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras and I was convinced that although the vignette was present, I actually liked the effect and I have spoken about my love of this lens before, that the lens is great, it is sharp.  I do not want to rehash everything I have already discussed except to say I made a huge mistake trying to capture these landscapes without a wide angle lens.

The other suggestion I have to anyone while on vacation is to wonder a bit, wonder off that beaten path.  Ask locals about the best local joints to grab a beer or have something to eat.  While we were in Key West, Jenny and I walked the neighborhoods and found the two houses I posted above and other fun sights.

The challenge for me is to head back to the Caribbean and do a bit more shooting with my wide angle lens.
Related Posts with Thumbnails