Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Building the Bot: Head Start

The first piece I took on was the head, it will be the most detailed piece and the most photographed, so I wanted to get the master just right.  I glued the pieces together and immediately learned that if engineering were my real job I would immediately looking for another.

Luckily this is art and not advanced robotics, but I was disappointed that I did not account for extra plexi on some of the angles.  Luckily for me there is bondo.

I had a similar issue with the main body at the joining at the peak.  I did get a bit creative with that one where I added a peak with styrene.  

The hand (pictures below) is made up of layers of plexi.  Some of the middle pieces are notched to create a recessed part to the back of the hand which I thought looked cool, but also gave me opportunities in the future to create a reveal of some kind.  I like options.  

The backplate will be partially decorative, but it is also where I plan on running the wires, batteries and switches.  The rectangular cutouts will have cover plates that will be secured magnetically to the plate.  I am also a sucker for easter eggs in movies and I love high voltage warning symbols, so both are found on this backplate.

Here is the start of the chest piece.
The start to the hand.  Some bondo has been added to smooth out the hand for when it is cast to make it look like one large piece.  The squares in the front are for the fingers.  Yes in true Simpson's tradition the robot will have three fingers and a thumb... actually the hand is already substantial with three fingers, four would have crowded this piece.
The backplate.  There are a few tributes here.  I love easter eggs.  
The backplate with high voltage symbol and engraving.  Below is a heat sink which is completely decorative, I had no practical idea for this one.  Above is the lower half of what could be a data link or power connector... I have not decided and probably will not figure it out until it cast and glued to the final piece.
Another shot of the head.  In front is the chin/lower mouth.
Next step is to prime and piece together some more parts.




Related Posts with Thumbnails